Friday, August 1, 2014

Trail Names

Thru Hikers generally take "trail names" to use while hiking. They can range from completely absurd to really cool - for example: Midnight Sparkle and Salad Days are two that fall into both categories. Most people get their trail names while on the trail, others make up one for themselves to avoid getting a bad trail name.

I have never been given a trail name that was meaningful or that stuck. A day hiker tried to give me a trail name one time. I was standing with a thru hiker (the aforementioned Midnight Sparkle) and the day hiker asked what our names were. When he learned that I didn't have one, he decided that I would be "Moonpie" since that was what I was eating for lunch at the time. Really? Next!

The only other nickname that I have been given is "CP". Half the employees at one of my clients call me that. I am their computer support so they call me Computer Paul, which devolved to CP very quickly. I don't mind the nickname, but it isn't great either.

Unless someone comes up with something between now and April I guess that I am going to start without a trail name and hope that I get a good one.

No comments: