Friday, April 17, 2015

Day 10

Thursday April 16

Mile 97.6

Betty Creek Gap

Today was the longest day so far. 17 miles, over Standing Indian Mountain, the tallest in this section at 5500 feet.

It dripped all night, keeping everything wet or at least damp. The tent got packed wet, and I carried my first pair of socks that were soaked.

I slept all night I think, which was very nice. What I missed was the mouse chewing through the mesh of my pack and into my water filter bag. Not sure what he was after, but luckily very little damage was done.

We were out of camp by 8:30 and on our way. The trail was still muddy, but nowhere near as bad as the day before. I managed to keep my shoes decently dry all day. Feet still looked like prunes at the end of the day, but they were not completely soaked all day long.

Made excellent time all day long. Stopped for breaks at deep gap and standing Indian shelter. Met Robert, the German, again at the shelter.

Took a decent break at the top of standing Indian. Bugs were bad so I didn't stay as long as I wanted to. The clouds blocked most of the view, but we could see a few peaks.

The downhill from there was easy and quick. It is over 4 miles of rolling downhill.

We got to the shelter and stopped in to rest. We were there by 2:15, so very good time. Left there and headed on to the campsite. It was easy uphill and rolling downhill all the way and we were finished by 4:30.

The sun broke out a few times today, but never stayed out. A cloud was rolling in to the campsite when we got there but luckily held off raining until after we had set up our tents and gotten water.

Most of the other people from the last shelter showed up quickly after we arrived. The rain started about the time we got done eating about 5. We quickly hung the bear bags in the rain and bailed into the tents.

The rain quickly stopped but the trees were still dripping. A girl from New York led a yoga class. I can hear them from the tent and most everyone in the other group is doing it. Dakota, Mariah and I stayed in the tents.

Today turned out very good. We made good miles and the weather held out until camp. My feet feel ok and everything else as well. I managed to keep up with the girls much better today, although the terrain was much easier as well. Regardless, hopefully I am getting into trail shape.

We are planning a quick 13 miles into Franklin tomorrow. We have a room reserved at the Budget Inn and I hope to be there by 2.

I will pick up my warm clothes again after sending them ahead, and I need to get camp shoes. So the pack will be getting heavier, but oh well. I may also grab another pair of toe sock liners if they have them.

I will be getting up by 7 in the morning to get an early start. I am hoping for another good nights sleep, but this time without the mouse!

No comments: