Friday, April 3, 2015

So Close I Can Taste It

T-Minus four days and counting. I have been waiting for this day for what seems like forever now, and it's finally almost here! I am heading to Augusta to spend Easter weekend with my family and will be back Sunday night. After that its one sure to be hectic day of final preparations and then its go time.

I still have several things to do in regards to my hike. I have to get my initial food supply ready and another for my mail drop to Fontana Dam. I have most of it laid out on the table, but I may still need a few more items.  I am trying to make sure that the Fontana mail drop is as small and light as I can make it so I don't have to resupply at all in the Smokies.

All of my gear is ready except for a small repair on my dry bags. Everything else I can throw in ziplocs and pack it up. I am looking at about a 15 pound base weight which is before I add food and water. So while hiking I will be carrying about 25-28 pounds coming out of towns.

The weather looks like scattered rain for the first week. As the saying goes: no rain, no pain, no Maine. I guess I will get an early dose! Regardless of the weather, I will be on the trail Tuesday and headed north.

Im super excited, super impatient, and ready to start this adventure of a lifetime. Now I just need to wait until Tuesday...

No comments: