Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Day 15

Tuesday April 21

Mile 159.2

Cable Gap Shelter

Today was tough. Both mentally and physically. After a cold night I got a late and lazy start. I slept on a bad slope all night. Ended up having to put my shoes under me in the downhill side to keep me from sliding.

Started hiking right after 9, with an immediate uphill to Cheoah Bald. Not terrible, but my feet were sore. Amazing views from the bald. I sat there for a few minutes just looking.

After that it was downhill and harder going my feet kept getting more and more sore. Had to take the downs very slow. Met Viking again at the next campsite. Glad to have caught up to him.

Got to Stecoah Gap and found trail magic of apples and bananas. Ate lunch there and rested. Then it was more painful feet walking.

Jacob's ladder was the next climb. On the map it looks really steep. Everyone was talking about how bad it is. We got to the bottom and I was trying to figure out if we were there yet as it wasn't as bad as I feared. Ended up being very steep but not as bad as expected. Took a while to get up but no real bad sections.

Stopped at the shelter for water and a break. Then it was more rolling hills. Something about today just wore me out. I was just slow. My feet were killing me the entire day. Didn't make sense since I only hiked 7 miles yesterday.

The last 3 hours drug by. I was hiking by myself and I was just barely moving it felt like. Almost bailed at a gap with other people tenting there but I decided to get it over with today so I only have 6 tomorrow.

Was super happy to finally get to camp but it was packed. Lots of people means I got the bad tent site. I'm on a slope again...  Oh well at least I can rest.

Ate dinner of spaghetti and relaxed until about 9. Had a campfire going and lots of people talking around it.

It has just been an exhausting day. Sore feet make for bad hiking. It was mentally draining even more then the entire day of rain.

No comments: