Friday, April 17, 2015

Day 11

Friday April 17

Mile 109.8

Franklin, NC

After a long night of rain, we woke up around 7:15 and started packing up. I was on the trail by 8. Everything was wet, including the foot of my sleeping bag (down, not good) and around the hood.

Made good time to the foot of Albert Mountain and began the super steep climb. On wet, slick rocks. It was fun enough when it was dry. The top was in a cloud but we celebrated the 100 mile marker anyways.

We stopped for a quick break at Long Branch Shelter where I had to look at my left foot. Got a blister forming under a crease. Should be interesting to see how that one plays out. Taped it up and kept going.

The weather was mainly cloudy all morning. Except for one spot with an amazing view, everything was in clouds until right after lunch. Then it cleared up a bit, but was still mostly cloudy.

Met Catman again as he had turned around at Franklin and headed back south. Cool guy, interesting to talk to.

Short lunch break at rock gap before the final climb, which was tiring. After 17 miles yesterday and a fast 13 today, we were all wore out. Finally made it to winding stair gap at 1:30.

We were greeted by trail magic by 2 guys from Virginia who were playing tonight at a place in town. They had beers, Pepsi, and oranges. Very popular people with the hikers!

We all had a laugh when one of them remarked that they brought a chair for hikers to sit in but every single one of us just plopped down in the dirt. What can we say, we got used to the woods...

After a rest while eating and drinking, we started trying to hitch a ride into town. First car stopped, which was surprising, and let us all pile into her SUV. Turns out she lived in Warner Robins for a while working at the base as a physician. How cool is that. She was on vacation in Franklin for a wedding and randomly decided to go driving up in the mountains. She dropped us off at the motel, which was very nice.

After showers and laundry, we walked (in the rain, of course) up to Outdoor 76 where Dakota got her mail drop and I looked for camp shoes. No luck there as they didn't have my size.

Rob and the other owner were awesome as always. They remembered me from last time which is very cool. I would rather spend my money there, but if you don't have it in stock, oh well. They said the number of hikers has been crazy this year.

Called the other outfitter, Three Eagles, and they had them in stock. But they are 2 miles away... The guidebook says they will pick you up, but that is apparently only in the morning. Was calling around to see how to get there and the grocery store when a lady just walked up and asked if we needed a ride. People are awesome!

She had heard me talking on the phone and decided to help out. She dropped us off at the outfitter and I got my camp shoes! So happy now that I don't have to wear wet shoes around camp.

The motel's shuttle, which we missed earlier, picked us up and took us to Walmart for resupply. I can say for sure that hikers qualify for the People of Walmart webpage.

Got enough food to get me 2 days to the NOC and got back to the motel. Ate dinner at the motor city grill. Excellent hamburgers. Had a chocolate shake as well.

Most everybody else decided to go hear the band play. I decided to pass so I could finish cleaning up and getting my gear back in order.

We will be getting the late (11am) shuttle back to the trail so it will be a lazy morning. Got a box of krispy kreme donuts waiting for breakfast. Hopefully I will sleep good tonight and be well rested for tomorrow.

No comments: