Monday, April 13, 2015

Day 6

Sunday April 12

Mile 58.6

Tray Mountain Shelter

Long day today. Woke up after a pretty sleepless night. I was either sweating or freezing and the whole time I was tossing and turning.

On the trail around 8 and had to immediately find water as we didn't have water at the campsite. About 1/2 mile down the trail we got some at a small creek.

We made great time along the logging road. Once we hit real trail again I slowed down. I was dragging all day long.

It seemed like I was always behind the others. I would only catch them at breaks and they would immediately get ahead once we started hiking again.

We took a good break at red clay gap and again at blue mtn shelter. On the way down to unicoi gap I started having pain in my shins which is not good. I took it real slow downhill and Ashlee showed me a stretch to try and ease the tightness.

It worked a little but not completely. We took a long break in the gap and tried to decide what to do tomorrow.

We all originally tried to get a motel room in hiawassee but they only allowed 4 in a room. Our group was 5.

Aaron and Ashlee ended up going into town today from the gap so we called back and Dakota, miriah and I got a room tomorrow night.

We finally moved on towards tray mountain and again I was slowly making it. Today was rough for some reason. I really need to get my trail legs soon!

The downhill still had pains in my shins and I kept going slow. Dakota showed me another stretch that I tried. Still can't tell the difference.

The climb up tray took forever as I kept having to stop for breaks. I finally made it about 4:30.

Since it was Sunday I stopped for a while at the top and read the sermon on the mount again.

Heard down to the shelter after a few minutes and set up. Dakota and miriah are in the shelter but a group that is partying is here tonight so it is noisy. They are drinking and smoking weed. Nice people but not my scene.

Nicole showed up with the younger German hiker. He told us his name but pronounced Robert as robot. So we were all a little confused about that until he clarified. We tried to give him robot as a trail name but he refused and said that others had done the same.

Miriah is going with flamethrower for now and Dakota is possibly artichoke boots. Flamethrower because her stove shot out huge flames day one and artichoke boots because she said okie dokie artichokie and had to get new boots at Neels gap. May not stick but they will work for now.

Aaron took pistachio before he went into town. Ashlee and I still don't have one. We will get one soon enough though.

It's getting cold and windy up here on the ridge about 8. Going to head into the tent soon.

Got my first blister today! Found it after getting into the shelter. Didn't feel it all day but it was on my middle toe on the side. I popped it and taped it up but of course it hurts a little now. I may have to switch back to the toe socks tomorrow but I will start with the regular ones and see.

I am most likely going to zero on Tuesday either in hiawassee if I can find someone else staying so we can share a room and if not I will stay at top of GA hostel to save money. I need to rest my shins as best I can and also look after my feet. I have a cut between the toe webbing that while not painful has me concerned about long term healing. I would also like to let this blister heal.

I have been fairly happy so far with my progress. I did not stick exactly to my 2 week plan but have been close. The second night I stopped short and today I went further than planned.

I'm going to start trying to stay more at campsites rather than shelters. I guessed that most of the partiers would be at the shelters and so far have been right. The last 2 nights at tent sites were much better with a small group that just hung out.

I am hoping that Aaron and Ashlee catch back up soon as I enjoyed their company. Our group so far has worked very well but I am sure we will split soon. That is just the way it works this early on.

Dakota and miriah are stronger hikers that I am and will probably pull ahead soon. The good thing is there is always another group to join.

No comments: