Thursday, April 9, 2015

Day 3

Thursday April 9

Miles hiked: 13

Today was a long day. Woke up about 7:30 and was on the trail by 8:15. Walked with Adam, trail name WooHoo, for most of the day off and on. Theseus started with us then disappeared. Caught back up with iceberg and scoops early in the day.

The climb up sassafras mountain was as fun as usual. It sucked. Justus was no better. After that it got generally easier but still a long day.

Stopped for lunch at Justus Creek. We soaked our feet in the water. Cold! Had a peanut butter and nutella tortilla sandwich with oreos. Yum. We decided to go to the hiker hostel for the night due to the incoming weather.

Hiked on, and the groups changed again. Kate disappeared and I kept leapfrogging Virginia. Not sure if that is a trail name or her real name.

When Woohoo and I got to gooch shelter he went on ahead. When I got to gooch gap woohoo had gotten a shuttle to Suches since the hiker hostel was full. I wanted to hike further so I passed on the offer to go along.

The next 3.5 miles were tough. Not because the trail was steep, but I was just dragging. I need to drink more water. I finally made it through to woody gap and met Kate and Mozy who were looking for somewhere to stay. I called the wolfden hostel in Suches and they had 3 spots for us so we took them. About 4:45 we got picked up and brought into town.

The hostel is average but it has pizza so all is good. I had half a pepperoni and a sprite. Sprite burns after not having one for 4+ years. Finished it off with an orange push pop ice cream. Then went back later for an orange crush.

Took a crappy shower, which was still very nice. I shared a load of laundry with Kate and Mozy. That will be nice to have clean clothes just to get them dirty tomorrow. Fun fun fun!

I managed to get a bottom bunk in the hostel. We will see how that goes tonight.
Now that I am full and relatively clean, it is time to relax.

Everyone hung out until about 9 and then started turning in for the night. The floor squeaks like crazy when someone walks by, so with 20 people in here it is loud.

We have to be ready by 8:15 for the shuttle back that leaves "sometime between 8:30 and 9, or whenever I get ready".

Tomorrow will be an interesting day that's for sure.

No comments: