Monday, April 13, 2015

The first week

Wow. I can't believe that it's been a week already. I am at mile 69.6 officially, but have actually hiked over 78.

We have had a variety of days so far. Rain today, yesterday was OK, and one really nice day. I have hiked between 8-14 miles each day.

It had been both harder and easier that I expected. Physically harder, but mentally easier. Most of the climbs up mountains have left me sweating and breathing hard, but the days have been good so far.

I have met some awesome people on the trail and a couple not so cool people, but they all make up this unique experience.

The weather has been better than expected, but the rain today did dampen my mood a bit. Regardless, it has been fun and challenging, exactly what I was expecting.

I am looking forward to the next week as we leave Georgia and into North Carolina. What I am most looking forward to is the arrival of my trail legs. It generally takes about 2 weeks to get your body into shape to walk 12-16 miles a day without issues. Right now 10 miles is wearing me out but it will soon get better.

Tomorrow we will be taking a zero, a day where we hike zero miles. I will be resting, resupplying, and replacing some of my gear that is not performing like it should.

I already had to replace my water filter since it was clogged from day 1. A tent stake broke this morning, but Viking gave me one of his spares. My rain pants are worthless and have ripped twice already.

Overall however, everything is going great.

No comments: